In the 1820’s, William Henry Playfair, the foremost Scottish architect of that era, was commissioned by The Royal College of Surgeons of the City of Edinburgh to design a building fit for purpose. The Playfair building was formally opened in July 1832. This flagship building contains rooms of grandeur, tastefully and cleverly modified to incorporate up-to-date technology.
The Playfair Hall
A magnificent room with a glass cupola ceiling, beautiful architectural detail and decorated in soft muted colours, with large windows on two sides of the Hall.
The Reception Room
An extension of the Fellows Library and is fitted out with glass cabinets containing historical medical journals dating back centuries.
The Fellows Library
A beautiful room with great ambience. A fine portrait of Joseph Lister, the pioneer of antiseptic surgery, is on display above the fireplace. This rooms looks onto our private gardens and a 1994 sculpture by Denys Mitchell entitled "Hinc Sanitas" - the College motto "From here, health".
The Logan Turner Room
An elegant room lined with oak panelling brought from the 1697 "Old Surgeons' Hall". The Delft tiles around the fireplace were gifted to the College from Minto House, Chambers Street during renovation work in 1914.
The Committee Room
An ideal room for smaller meeting. Recently renovated, it is a warm rich red room with wooden panelling and excellent AV facilities.